Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT! Menu Bar is Gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nivlac

Technical User
May 9, 2001
US
In an effort to protect a database, I managed to remove the menu bar and can't get it back! I went to Tools, Startup...and unchecked the two boxes called "Allow Built-in Toolbars" and "Allow Toolbar/Menu Changes". I hit OK, closed out of the database, went back in, and voila! TOOLS is no longer an option on my database (which is hidden, by the way.) I cannot right-click on the toolbar to try and customize it, either.

This database is used heavily in my department, and MUST be corrected as soon as possible. If anyone can help, I'll be forever in your debt!

Thanks!
nivlac
ruchsa@samcstl.com
nasushcur@hotmail.com

open the database while holding down the shift key...then select tolls - > stratup and reenable the menus... Programming isn't a profession of choice.
It's a profession of calling...
"Hey Programmer, your application broke again!" [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer

Robert,
I wish I could do that! I disabled the shift key at startup with a module when I first built the db. Also, many of the options on the normal menu bar have been removed, so I'm quite limited on using that. Any other suggestions? I'm really at a loss on this one. (But I have definitely learned a valuable lesson!)

Thanks!
nivlac
ruchsa@samcstl.org
nasushcur@hotmail.com

Try using the CONTROL key when u boot up
"ACCESS ADDICT"

The CONTROL key didn't work. My AutoExec macro still runs. Anything else?

nivlac
ruchsa@samcstl.org
nasushcur@hotmail.com

Hi!

Try opening a connection to the database from another database and reseting the AllowByPassKey property through that connection. Then you should be able to shift into the database and reset your menu bar.

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Jeff,
Bear with me. I'm a little confused. I can open a different db and link the tables to my problem db. But all other db objects can only be copied/imported. Therefore, won't I only be enabling the shift key on startup in the new database? I'm not quite sure how to get to the module in the problem db. Any ideas?

nivlac
ruchsa@samcstl.org
nasushcur@hotmail.com

why dont u just do this...

Open a NEW database and IMPORT all the tables/queryes/reports/modules in the new database...

this way u are set for good... "ACCESS ADDICT"

Dirgesh,
That's actually what I'm doing right now. I just thought there might be an easy way to undo what was easily done in 2 seconds. I've always known I could copy my objects to a new db and start over with security. I've just been trying to learn new ways around my mishaps (and learn how to NOT make them in the first place. lol)

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll finish that up today.
nivlac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back