Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lany9

Programmer
Jul 18, 2005
US
Hi, I am having problems with a simple JSP-based application which is deployed on Oracle Application Server 10g (version 9.0.3.1). When only 1 person is logged on it works fine, however when more than 1 person attempts to log on the following error is displayed:

Server error: java.lang.OutOfMemoryException
<<no stack trace found>>

The Java heap stack trace on the application server is set to 512MB, and the Home Page is pulling about 2000 records and displaying them in an HTML table. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the deadline for this project is a few days away. Thanks

Can you increase the RAM even more ? 2000 records does sound quite meaty ...

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Unfortunately we are unable to increase the RAM

Can you try with less records? I don't know about that record size. If it's huge, I agree sedj you will need more RAM.

But imho that should be enough for 2 users. If not, I don't want to imagine what could happen with 20 simultaneous users.

Anyway, I'd monitorize the memory usage with one user. If it reaches dangerous levels, you will have to examine in depth your application to reduce memory consume.

If that's not the case, then you can have an concurrency problem, where two simultaneous access makes the program enter some kind of resource-wasting loop.

Btw, I bet for first one.

Cheers,
Dian

2000 records / 512MB == 0.25 MB

Which means for each record, you only have 250 KB allocated for that record.

Add two uses, and its only 125 KB - which (not knowing the size or content of your records) may just not be enough RAM !!!

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back