Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent help ..Need to upload data from .DAT file (64GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnath001

Programmer
Aug 18, 2000
US
Hello,

I have a SQL server's Data file (.DAT ) (Not sure which version of SQL server is it) which is very huge 63GB in size and I need to upload this file into a newly created SQL Server database.

Is there any utility or menu option which i can use (like Import data option under data transformation option) or should I write any stored procedure to get this done.

I have restored data from .BAK file but never from .DAT file.
Any suggestions will be very helpful.
Thank You
nath

"RELLOW" my friend!

I'm not a expert but here something that can help you.
Sugestion one:
Take a look at two stored procedure in books on line:
sp_detachdb and sp_atachdb.

Sugestion two: Create a database in your new server with same configuration. (same devices sizes -I mean log device etc..) do a backup of your old server and than try to restore in your new server.(ops! it's seems it's exactly what you are doing) but a think the first sugestion will help you. :)

[]'s

You should be able to do it both ways that Fluzzi has explained it. I restore various dB's from back up .DAT files all the time. Here's what you do:

1.Create dB devices and BackUp Devices **Be sure they are the same size as the one you want to restore**

1a. Make sure you copy the DAT file onto the hard drive of your SQL server. In MSSQL\BackUp or MSSQL\Temp are good places.

2.Right click on your new dB and select 'Back-Up/Restore'

3.Follow the prompts (I assume you got the idea from here)
**Make sure you select the right DAT file**

4.Restore the back-up

I hope this is what you're looking for. Remember, all devices, logs etc. must all be the same size and the dB's should be identical. Good luck

Thank You Friends.

I will try to do as per your instructions and will see if it works.

Thank You again Christine1 and Fluzz1

Regards
basamnath@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back