Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent: Detect .Net framework during installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoteSilicon

Programmer
Feb 13, 2001
GB
Hello,

I have developed a web based application in VB.Net and have created a setup for my project. The problem is, if .Net framework is not installed on the client machine then the setup application gives dll missing runtime error and terminates. I want to show an apprpriate message instead of this default message. Any suggestions/comments ????

if you copy the missing dll to your source folder, i.e. where the exe will be launched from then you will get a formatted message saying that dotNet version blaa blla needs to be installed.
alternatively you can include the .net framework as part of your installation routine, i.e. include it in your app setup

Thanks for helping me out. Is there any way to customize this message ?

Put your code in a Try, Catch, Finally Statement

Code:
Try
    'main code execution if an error occurs, code jumps to the catch statement
Catch Ex as Exception 'lets presume .NET is not installed
    msgbox "You need to install the .NET Framework to install this application." & vbcrlf & vbcrlf & Err.Number & vbcrlf & ex.message
End Try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back