Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent ... Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

binjovi

Programmer
Sep 10, 2001
CA

Hi Guys If you can help me in this as soon as possible

I have installed Personal Oracle 8i on desktop system.
Now I wanna load D2k in the same system. After loading Personal Oracle 8i I tested the connection and its perfect.Then I loaded D2k forms 5.0.... Its also showed a message installed successfully. But when I trying to connect as scott/tiger its not connecting. Showing some error tns..... Next I removed both and then tried to load developer first and then loaded oracle 8i. Is showing successfully installed and developer 2000 is again not connection to oracle.I tried lots of stund but all in vain

also one more things you must load developer as well as oracle in the same directory or different.

so can you guys suggest me to rectify this as soon as possible..

oracle 8i 8.1.6
developer 2000 forms 5.0 reports 3.0 etc..

Thanks
Bins..

Sorry I have written I didnt connect at the first time also.. The installation was successful.

Guys can anybody help me for the same.

Bins

Can you connect via sqlplus? How do you connect to your database?

Thanks rcurva
When i am connecting to sqlplus
The error message comming is

ora-12541 TNS:no listener

When i checkout their are lot of listener which listerner discription has to be changed and how to run listener manually

Thanks
Bins

Here is a sample of my listener.ora file. You would need to change "yourhost" by the name of your computer (the one knowed by the network), or its IP address. Also, change the yourSID by the SID of your database. You specified this when you created it, although in the case of Personal Oracle, it might be ORCL (default).
Then, you will have to start the listener service (/start/setting/controlpanels/services). You should see the listner there, and start it.

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = yourhost)(PORT = 1521))
)
)
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = d:\oracle\ora817)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = yourdbSID)
(ORACLE_HOME = d:\oracle\ora817)
(SID_NAME = yourdbSID)
)
)

Thanks jcote
But the problem is which listerner or tnsnames I must configure I have tnsnames.ora in c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\ and c:\d2k\net80\admin.

Which file to be configured, can you tell me which path the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora must be present to be checked by developer and oracle.

Thanks for the support
bins

You have 2 ORACLE_HOME defined in your system. Check you properties (RUN regedit, go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, ORACLE and you should see multiple ORACLE_HOME defined). I hope you are familiar with properties.
Now, there must be, in all of the program that you can start (under the oracle programs), something called Oracle HOME selector. Go there and select the ORACLE_HOME of your personal Oracle installation. Make the necessary changes to the listener.ora file in c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\ (that is the one pointed to by the ORACLE_HOME of your Personnal Oracle). Go into the services, stop the listener and restart it. It will now use the file you changed because it's Oracle_home is directing it to this file.
I am not an expert in Oracle on WINDOWS. I am much more at ease with UNIX. So this is what I suggest you do. I don't have experience with this platform to be sure of my solution.

Of course, you could also make both your listener.ora file the same. When you installed the software (PO and D2K), you also could have used the same ORACLE_HOME.

Hope this is helpfull.

You might try setting the TNS_ADMIN environmental variable to point to one or the other of your network subdirectories. Then modify the files in the directory you selected. All of your Oracle products should now use the same subdirectory.

Note: this USUALLY (99%) works; I have also seen it NOT work a couple of times.

Thank you guys for everything
while connecting to oracle 8i without any problem its getting connected

when i try to connect developer
username :- abc
password :- xyz
database :- oracon

The oracon is registered in tnsnames.ora file situated in
c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

the same error is commimg
ora 12154 :- TNS:- could not resolve service name

Make your tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files of your two ORACLE_HOME identical, this is, copy the files from your Oracle 8 into the D2K home.

But before doing this, make sure that they are properly configured first.

from command prompt try,

tnsping oracon

is it Okay?

Are you sure the TNSNAMES.ORA file doesn't have oracon as oracon.world or something like that? Terry M. Hoey

Thanks rcurva
I now its bugging to ask the same everytime but the problem is using tnsping oracon its connectinng and oracle 8i is getting connected . Only problem occuring is when i connect using d2k. its showing
ora - 12154 TNS : could not resolve service name

can you tell me the exact path which listener.ora file to be configured and which tnsnames.ora file to be configured in both oracle home whether you have to make trace on.
suppose if I remove all the listener and tnsnames.ora and recreate them whether i will work or not.

i can show you the sample tnsnames.ora and listener file of mine.

c:\developer\net80\admin AND c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin
# C:\ORACLE\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration File:C:\developer\net80\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

ORACON =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = NTSERVER)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = eeibindb)
(INSTANCE_NAME = eeibindb)
)
)

and listener file also in the same path

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ntserver)(PORT = 1521))
)
)
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\ora81)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = data1)
(SID_NAME = data1)
)
)

if you can help I will really appreciate this..

thanks

Configure the tnsnames.ora & listener.ora files from c:\developer\net80\admin which I think you already did and seems working fine, and then copy these files to c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin.

You can tnsping your DB but you can not connect by sqlplus, is that correct?

I can see that you don't have a listener for your DB Oracon. Can you modify your listener to this one, and then restart it?

LISTENER =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= IPC)(KEY= eeibindb))
(ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= IPC)(KEY= data1))
(ADDRESS= (PROTOCOL= TCP)(Host=ntserver)(Port=1521))
)
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = data1)
)