Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT!!!! Catalyst 6509

Status
Not open for further replies.

psolis

MIS
Feb 28, 2002
US
I have a 6509 switch and 2 blades with 48 ports in each blade. on the second blade, i have a cable going from the last port (48) port to the inside interface of the PIX Firewall and the firewall is running NAT (so it is the gateway for the internal network) and traffic goes out from there. The switch has an MSFC but can't get into it cause old guy didn't leave tyhe password. I can console into the switch and have enable password for that.

Problem is that the port that the fire wall is plugged into (48) will shut down after 5 minutes of traffic or so - I then unplug and plug into a new port and it will run for 5 min and shutdown and so on and so on... What could be causing this and how can I get around it without having access to msfc - NOTE: This problem started when I unplugged the end of the cable pluggeed into the inside interface of the firewall - I instantly plugged it back in and then problems started occurring from there. Haven't had a problem for years straight and now this port shutdown problem. Please Help!!!!

Thanks

Most of the times I've seen this it is caused by a duplex misnegotiation. Try setting both the switch port and PIX interface to 100MB/Full Duplex. I've you only set one side to 100MB/Full, you'll commonly see these problems.

You should be able to re-enable the err-disabled port by using 'set port enable <mod/port>' command.

Good Luck,
Vance

Thanks - I was told that cisco devices need to be set to the same negotiation so I did set them to 100 full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back