Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT - Blue Screen Errors - Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaineyma

Technical User
Jul 27, 2006
GB
Hello,

My home pc has just no got continuous blue scren errors. The error refers to core.sys - I can log on, and it tries to install the cdrom.exe then after 2 mins it blue screens again. I am desperate not to lose data here so any ideas?
I am desperate and would be very grateful if anyone can help me as soon as possible.

Best Regards

Ray

I'd be concerned with anything trying to install an exe on my machine. My first question is have you installed any new hardware to the PC? How about any new software? If you answer no to both of those I'd start with a virus scan. Update your definitions then run the scan.

If you've added anything, hardware or software, I'd start by removing it and see if that is the cause. It could be a driver conflict or something.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Can you boot your computer into Safe Mode with no problems and try and recover your data? When booting your computer press F8 before Windows starts and select the Safe Mode option. I would go ahead and back up your data while in Safe Mode to a USB drive, CD/DVD, or some other backup media to ensure that it will be safe. Now you can start working at the problem at hand. I could not find alot of solid information about this file, but most of the links I see regarding the core.sys file are referencing it as a rootkit or a virus if it is found in the system32 folder. You can try fooling around with removing the file by running virus scans or etc., but personally I would probably just go ahead and do a clean install of Windows to save a headache and ensure that your system will be clean and optimized. Check out the links below for some info about this file.

- How to Remove Core.sys (scroll down about halfway for info on removing core.sys)

- Solved: core.sys and core.cache.dsk Virus

Some general things to try when you get a blue screen are drive error checks and memory error checks. To check the drive for errors open a command prompt and type chkdsk /r and answer yes when it asks you to schedule it for the next reboot. Restart the computer and let the disk check run.
To check your RAM for errors check out or Instructions for using these programs are on the site.

If this is indeed a virus or rootkit and you want to try to clean it up here are some helpful links. Consider running Hijack This and post back the log file.

faq602-473

faq779-5240

faq760-6534

faq760-4866

Hope something here helps you out with this, but ensure your important data is safe first and foremost.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP, Wireless#

Hi Ray,
Try this link: You can download AV, AS and an Antirootkit free. Be sure to check for updates before running any of these apps. Also, you also may want to disable Systerm Restore before deleting any pests.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back