Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

uptime

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilio500

Programmer
Oct 15, 2000
UY
whats the range of numbers displayed by uptime's "load average"? i mean, looking up the "load average", how can i get the percentage of cpu load?

Thank you. [sig][/sig]

The 3 parameters in the command uptime are the 15 sec, 1 min and 15 min run queue lenghts. They represent the amount of "jobs" that ran between those times,this is on average.

Tony

Correct me if i'm wrong (I don't have access to any man pages at the moment) but I think I can add something.

The three load average figures that [tt]uptime[/tt] displays are values for the:

last minute, last 5 minutes, last 15 minutes

My understanding is that "Load Average" can be defined as:

The average number of processes in the state 'ready-to-run', but not actually running in a certain time period.

So it's the average number of processes that are *waiting* for some processor time.

On multi processor systems (the ones that I've used at any rate) that should read: the average number of processes, divided by the number of processors, that are *waiting* for some processor time.

You can't get % cpu load from a load average figure, the commands [tt]uptime 1[/tt] or [tt]top[/tt] display it though.

As I said, that's from memory, so don't base any homework assignments on it guys...

Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back