Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upsizing to SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

clayton74

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
GB
Hi All

I have been asked if we can move our Access database to SQL.I have tried importing using Import within SQL this creates the database tables but this does not copy across any primary / foriegn keys that are on the tables. I tried Access upsizing wizard in Access and this creates keys but with random names not anything I would expect to see

Is there any way to move the Access database to SQL keeping the keys

Many Thanks in advance

Unless there have been very recent changes, the short answer is no. This has been a very frustrating thing to me--the fact that MS can't even get their own product to migrate to another of their own products smoothly.

I've moved so many tables from access to sql server and for me it's just a given that I have to re-create keys, constraints, etc. I have tried the upsizing wizard once and, like most MS "wizards", it's very sloppy and not thorough, and for those of us who want things done neatly (ie, index and constraint names that you can actually read)--it makes more work fixing the sloppyiness and the things it missed than the time it supposedly saved.

There may be some logic behind some of the things--for example Access lets you make a unique index that can have mulitple nulls and they can be ignored for the uniquness. As far as I know, Sql-server can't do this.
--Jim

clayton74 said:
I tried Access upsizing wizard in Access and this creates keys but with random names not anything I would expect to see
What does it matter what the keys "look" like? The only thing that's important is that they maintain the relationships between the tables.

I've used the Upsizing wizard on a number of database upgrades. I found it does about 90% of the work. You can't expect it to do everything, there are many differences between Access and SQL Server. But the bulk of the mindless work is done for you (creating tables, creating fields, setting up relations, etc.).

creating tables, ..., setting up relations, "

Tables are relations. I think you meant relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back