Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upsize to sql from access the IIf statement and slow load

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermanlaksko

Programmer
Aug 26, 2001
DK
I am having a problem with a query in access it looks like this:

SELECT DISTINCTROW Transactions.ID, Sum(Securities.[CommCov%]) AS Summa, 1-Nz([Summa]) AS [Unsecured%], Sum(Securities.[PolCov%]) AS PolSumma, IIf(Nz([PolSumma])>=1,0,1-Nz([PolSumma])) AS [UnsecuredPol%], First(Deals.BorrowerID) AS BorrowerID, First(Countries.Name) AS Country, Clients.CountryID, Clients.Client_PropertyID, Clients.ID AS ClientID
FROM Countries RIGHT JOIN ((Deals RIGHT JOIN (Transactions LEFT JOIN Securities ON Transactions.ID = Securities.TransactionID) ON Deals.ID = Transactions.DealID) LEFT JOIN Clients ON Deals.BorrowerID = Clients.ID) ON Countries.ID = Clients.CountryID
GROUP BY Transactions.ID, Clients.CountryID, Clients.Client_PropertyID, Clients.ID;

I have translated it into SQL and its now looking like this:

SELECT Transactions.ID, SUM(Securities.[CommCov%]) AS Summa,
1 - (Securities.[CommCov%]) AS [Unsecured%],
CASE WHEN SUM(Securities.[PolCov%])
>= 1 THEN 0 ELSE 1 - (SUM(Securities.[PolCov%]))
END AS [UnsecuredPol%],
MIN(cast(Deals.BorrowerID AS varchar(35))) AS BorrowerID,
MIN(Countries.Name) AS Country,
Clients.CountryID AS CountryID, Clients.Client_PropertyID,
Clients.ID AS ClientID
FROM Countries, Deals, Transactions, Securities, Clients
GROUP BY Transactions.ID, Securities.[CommCov%],
Clients.CountryID, Clients.Client_PropertyID, Clients.ID

In access it loads fine, however in ms-sql it loads slooooow, if at all.
I have tryed it both as a view and as a procedure but there is no diff.
Can someone lend a hand?
Thanks in advance
Herman

Herman
Say no to macros

The query is producing a cartesian product.

It appears to be missing the join criteria.

FROM Countries RIGHT JOIN ((Deals RIGHT JOIN (Transactions LEFT JOIN Securities ON Transactions.ID = Securities.TransactionID) ON Deals.ID = Transactions.DealID) LEFT JOIN Clients ON Deals.BorrowerID = Clients.ID) ON Countries.ID = Clients.CountryID

When one is blind, it is nice to have a new pair of eyes to find, and point out the obvious.

I am not sure how I, during my struggle, managed to drop these lines and overlook it time and again, but I did ....

That did the trick ;-)

A BIG thanks for letting me know!!

Herman
Say no to macros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back