Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS'ing a CLARiiON FC5500 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

octorian

Technical User
Jan 14, 2004
US
Right now I've got a DPE and a single DAE, as well as the dual SPS units. I'm trying to figure out the best way to supply reliable power to the system, for when I start using it regularly.

Right now, the DPE is hooked to the SPSes. When the power fails, as I can tell, the DPE flushes its cache to the "cache vault" disks and then tells the SPSs to "shut off" (until power returns). The DAE just flat-out turns off with loss of power. What I'm wondering, is whether there are any risks to data integrity by this happening. Should I put the DAE on its own UPS? Should I put the whole rig (including SPSs) behind a UPS for more reliability and longevity in short power outages? Is everything fine as-is?

(Where I am, we havn't had any prolonged power outages in the past year, though the occasional hicup is more common. Can't recall any power outages lasting longer than 5 minutes, and system uptime records indicate I havn't had any long enough to make a UPS run out of battery)

1. SPS are used only for DPE, DAE don't need SPS, since all cached data is vaulted to the "vault area". You will have no problems with integrity.

2. I suggest to put the whole system behind the UPS. Why? because if your server are behind the UPS but not FC5500 and you have a power outage, you will have your servers running and their disks (LUNs) powered off! This issue will be a big risk and you can corrupt your data, not for clariion but for have data on server memory while the clariion is off.

Hope this help.

Good point. I was actually worried about that condition as well. Now, if only I knew why the DPE/DAE used so much power. It's like the DAE is continuously drawing nearly the spin-up power of 10 drives. (yes, I know actual spin-up is staggered) Did someone at CLARiiON decide to solder big fat resistors onto the power supplies just to increase power consumption?

he he he :)
unfortunately I'm not electrician in order to know what's going on inside the power supplies ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back