Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS What to look for ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulfitzg1

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
IE
I am about to purchase a 5KVA UPS for a small server room.
4 Win2k Servers, 2-4 PC's and a few switches. I am hearing things like "Make before break bypass" and "Online double conversion system".

Can anyone offer advise on what I should be looking for in a new UPS ?

Thanks

Paul.

Make before break bypass is a bypasing switch wich won't let the load (in this case your computers) without power when going to "Bypass Mode". Unless of course a blackout or browuout is going on at this moment. This is a very usefull device for performing maintenance on the UPS or in the case of a UPS failure. This devices work, usually, automatic (if the UPS fails) and manual (for maintenance).

Double conversion stands for On-Line UPSs. That is, a UPS which always powers the load with inverter-generated power. That is clean power. Multi-conversion (double or tripple) UPSs are better than ANY other kind of UPS for mission critical apps. (rotary UPSs are a sub-class of multiconversion UPSs, even if many vendors say different).

So, yes, if you are concerned about power quality and uptime, go for a double conversion UPS and mount a Make Before Break Bypass Switch.

Regards,

Jose;

to have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back