Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS used as a stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkStr

Programmer
Feb 6, 2009
NL
Hello

It is may be a stupid question but is it possible to use a UPS as a stabilization unit.

I have a Back-UPS Pro 420SI, a aggregate (3600W on balanced) and two 600W amplifiers (witch use together have a consumption of +-3400VA).

I know that my UPS only can give 440VA but I only want to use the UPS as a stabilizer so that the amplifiers get a right Voltage and Frequency and not as a backup.

I want to use this configuration so I can play music with the amplifiers on a generator.

Is this possible or does somebody know how I can do this without blowing up my amplifiers??!!

I hope somebody can help me.

With kind regards

Mark

The only possible way to do this is to have a true uninterruptable backup system online, likely costing far more than your entire audio system costs. A standard BBU will do nothing toward frequency regulation.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

What you need is a UPS that does AVR(Automatic Voltage Regulation). Only high end Back-UPS are capable of this. Smart-UPS or an AV unit would be the better option, but much more pricey. If all your looking for is voltage regulation, you could get a voltage regulator. APC has a 600 and a 1200. You could give the 1200 a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back