Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS time to recharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guch

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2002
GB
Hi all,

How long would it take an e.g APC Smart1400 UPS to charge. We had 1 outage, where the UPS did its job, 1 hour later, there was a power surge as the power came back up, the the UPS could not handle it.....

All replies will be appreciated.

G

A good system would trickle charge to provide maximum battery life of a few years. If it fast charges like everyone wants the batteries could fail after a few complete drains in a matter of months.
I would guess it would take four to ten hours to come up to 85% percent.
This is my educated guess if I were a UPS designer. I took electronics engineering technology in college 15 years ago and built an electric motorcycle. Only in the last few years have I seen any real improvement in battery technology.

Regards, Michael Sutherland

Check out in the products specs on APCC.com, they usually give the recharge time for 90% (if I am not wrong).

In general UPS charges a battery within 4 to 5 hours.There is provision given ie fast charging & slow charging.When battery is fully charged it will automatically go into trickle charge.
damodar

I would definitely make sure you have the percentage set to at least 50% charge before the server\computer is brought back up, you would not want a series of short outages and surges to take your battery out of commision for 4-10 hours when users are trying to login for the day, but I've noticed it takes approx 4-6 hours for our 1400 to come back to 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back