Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS Plan for my server environment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonafide247

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2003
US
Hello

I am a novice systems admin, which has just inheritied a small server room.

This server room has NO power backup/protection. NONE. NADA.

I need advice and/or direction in deploying a power solution to my environment.

I have calculated my total VA for all the devices in my server room. (Voltage x Amps) Do I purchase one big UPS, or split my devices among several smaller UPSes?

This is a racked environment, but I can also accomdate floor mounts as well.

Thanks to all!

Visit one of the UPS selector pages that all of the top manufacturers have like APC, Tripp-Lite, etc... Put in you total VA load, rack-mount or tower, needed run-time, and needed redundancy. These sites will then give you some very good recommendations for UPS(s) and batteries. Keep in mind also to be aware of power distribution from the UPS(s), cooling, humidity/moisture, and ventilation issues as well.

I personally use APC products and even after using their selector page, I have never had any issue on talking to their support team to fine tune and see if I missed something. I'm sure the other manufacturers are just as willing to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back