Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

arfjay

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
CA
We are paying someone over $1000 a year to come and service our UPS - he opens it and vacuums it out and checks a few things - takes him about 1\2 hour. Does anyone out there know whether this is all that complicated or can I do it myself like we clean computers.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

Ron

I invite corrections, but I have been watching over my guys shoulder for 15 years

large UPS batteries are 'like' car batteries, you need to add distilled water to keep them alive, and no matter how well you treat them, in 5 years or so they are dead.

If you have a source of the batteries, you can replace them yourself for less, if your labor is free.

the other thing he is doing (besides dusting) is checking to see that the circuits are balanced and under the load limits of the UPS. Your in-house electricians can do this as well. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

An UPS is a contingence prevention tool.
I do not recommend to non-experienced people to try giving preventive or corrective maintenance to these devices. First, it could be dangerous, very dangerous, and second it could be the reason why tomorrow your CPD could crash.
Is $ 1000 a year really worth the chance? That is 84 dollars per month!
Many UPSs do not use distilled water; and usually common electricians are not trained to check the internal parameters of this equipment.

Jose P Mir
jpm@jpmir.net

I may be stiring up a cat fight here... BUT...
depending on the Make, Model and Size of the UPS, the smaller ones (under 3kva) generally can get by without a 'maintenance contract' They either work, or not. When there is a failure, it's usually the battery. And depending on the cost of the UPS, sometimes it's cheaper to replace the UPS.
As far as maintenance on larger UPS systems, most modern smaller UPS systems seldom require calibrations and therefore if it works, don't fix it. I cannot and am not speaking for all UPS systems, there are some that are very elaborate in design and unfortunately require constant maintenance.
If you feel coumfortable around electricity, you can test and replace your batteries yourself when needed. Most Maintenance contracts on UPS systems DO NOT include the batteries. So where's the savings?

Unless the tech is load testing the UPS and Batteries, performing calibrations on all the protection settings (if adjustible) and actually doing something other that vacuming and just looking around, then you might be better off paying for for a time and materials service call if and when needed.

BTW, I'm a UPS Service Engineer and have been for 19 years. I'm just puting caution to the wind on these smaller type UPS systesm.

One last note, Contracted Customers do get priority service from all UPS service companies, so this alone may validate the cost of your contract.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back