Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS Extended Overvoltage - should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

we have started getting multiple extended overvoltage messages on the server from our smart UPS 1500 (Powerchute).

I have tried all three sensitivity settings but it hasn't made any difference, so I assume it's not the sensisitvity of the device but likely to be an actual overvoltage issue.

This has only just started to happen, the server / UPs has been in it's urrent;y location for nearly a year without any warnings prior to this.

Should I be worried, I have advised the boss we should get an electrician in to look at it as a wise precaution, but he doesn't seem that bothered.

should we not worry? what is likely to happen if we do nothing, is the UPS just going to annoy me with messages or is there actual potential for hardware damage and failure?

Your advise is appreciated.

1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

I would be worried, but I like to worry. I am going to assume you are in the US on 120VAC 60Hz power.

If you live in an area that is experiencing the current heat wave and power demand is really high, it may be the utility has had to boost voltage somewhat so that customers at the end of the chain maintain adequate voltage and you happen to be at the front of the line getting high voltage. That would mean typically you would go over-voltage in the middle of the afternoon.

What is "extended"? Is it seconds, minutes, hours?

I would measure your line voltage with a meter or a "Kill a Watt" gizmo (very handy and cheap!). If you baseline voltage is much over 125VAC then you may have a problem. It could be that your line voltage is almost at the high transfer point of the ups and just a little increase pushes it over the top.

If you can measure an actual over-voltage event that would be great too. Our power here normally runs between 118 and 120 V. If it is really hot (as it has been lately it may drop down to around 116). If it turns out you are just slightly over and you are in the heat wave scenario then I wouldn't worry about it.

A little googling found this table on APC's website:

[tt]
Transfer points are the input voltages at which the UPS will move between different modes of operation: SmartBoost, On-Line, SmartTrim & On-Battery. These transfer points are user-settable via PowerChute software, PowerNet SNMP or any UPS Remote Management SmartSlot Device.

NOTE: 3.5G=SU700RM2U, SU1000RM2U, SU1400RM2U, 3.6G=all Smart-UPS that
begin with SUA, 4.0G=(SU2200RM2U, SU3000RM2U), 3G=all others

3G 3.5,3.6, 4.0G
120VAC 120VAC
Low transfer point 120V Low transfer point 120V
On Line to AVR Boost* 103 100 97 106 On Line to AVR Boost* 106 100 97 103
AVR Boost to On Battery 92 90 87 94 AVR Boost to On Battery 82 77 75 79
On Battery to AVR Boost 94 92 89 97 On Battery to AVR Boost 87 81 79 84
AVR Boost to On Line 112 112 112 112 AVR Boost to On Line 112 112 112 112

High Transfer Points 120V: High Transfer Points 120V:
OnLine to AVR Trim* 132 135 138 129 OnLine to AVR Trim* 127 130 133 136
AVR Trim to On Battery 147 153 158 145 AVR Trim to On Battery 144 147 149 154
On Battery to AVR Trim 142 147 151 140 On Battery to AVR Trim 141 144 146 150
AVR Trim to On Line 125 125 125 125 AVR Trim to On Line 122 122 122 122

[/tt]

Nope, UK 240 volts and certainly no heat wave, been nothing but rain latelty, not sure we are going to get a summer this year!

I don't have any measuring gizmos and I certainly don't play with electricity. It is highly illegal for any unqualified person to go anywhere near electrics in a commercial environment not to mention dangerous!

My concern is the UPS has been running fine for 8 months in our new offices, then suddenly it's started overvolting!

I shall tell the boss he needs to get an electrician out or risk damage to our IT equipment, if he doesn't, that's his problem!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back