Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

TR00

Technical User
Jun 6, 2006
HU
Hello,

maybe a dumb question, but I'm not too familiar with UPS related problems:

Is it possible to perform a discharge in bypass mode?

TIA,

TR

It depends on how your power supply circuits and switching are set up. And if you bypass the UPS, what is protecting your equipment ? Best to schedule a 'down day' if you're going to test things - gracefully shut down your protected equipoment and use lamps or fans, not your servers, to be loads that drain things down to the nubs to test battery capacity.
One big caution - if you have T-1 or better links, KEEP the CSU/DSU's powered up at all times. I used to work in a high rise in downtown LA, with a 12-hour minimum power outage once a year. Before we got T-1's, I'd just down the whole server room. With a T-1, if the circuit is out for more than an hour, it was an ordeal with the telecom outfits to get it reinstated. After one experience with that, I'd down the servers and routers and switches, but leave the CSU/DSU's powered on (more than enough battery power for that!), so save time and grief after the building powered up again.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back