Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS Bad smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishkiller00

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2006
US
I've got ups that is putting of a very terrible smell, anyone have any idea if that is a sign that it is going bad? Its like a sulfur smell. Just trying to get some input on this before I change it out. Thanks

Yes. Powersupplies are not suppose to smell funky.

IT Admin (PBX Newbie)
Nortel Option11
Version 1411
Release 21
Issue 7+
MerMail 10.7.2

sulphur smell?

doesn't some batteries use sulphuric acid?

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Does the unit still power the computer if mains voltage is cut off?

It sounds like the electronics are frying the batteries, which are gassing. Possible component failure causing batteries to be grossly, and dangerously, overcharged. Could also be a split battery, spilling out it's acidic contents...

Whatever you do, handle this unit with care. If you intend to look inside it, I would switch it off, disconnect from the mains and the computer(s), and leave it untouched for a few hours. This will hopefully allow any pressure build up in the batteries to diminish. Try and open the unit outside, not in an enclosed space - suggest you use gloves.

Take care with this one...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

AAAHH... Run away.. or follow what G0AOZ said.. either way.. unplug it!

...carry it to the recycling center on the end of a long stick...[smile]

We all agree, get rid of it.

The POWER SUPPLY. Get rid of the POWER SUPPLY - not your whole computer (if possible). [wink]

Just wanted to make sure no misunderstandings, there. [smile]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

He was talking about a UPS smelling funky not his whole computer so lets hope he didn't think we were saying to throw the computer away :D

I'm not the smartest guy, but I sure wouldnt throw away the whole PC if it was the PC. It was the ups we have some of our servers and pbx hooked up to. We got it figured out thanks for everyones help. I really do appreciate it.

Hmmmm.... UPS... Power Supply.... Me oops.. [blush]

I must've got to reading the other instances in this thread where someone said "power supply" and not "ups". Oops! [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back