Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS as a Line Conditioner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul3221

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
US
Hi,
I was just wondering if a UPS will work as a good line conditioner. We recently moved, and since the move, our Plasma TV is receiving interference from somewhere. There are pink and green lines that move up the screen. Sometimes it's bad, and sometimes not, so it seems to be related to something electrical. I was just wondering if a UPS will work the same as a line conditioner? In theory it should, as it uses power to charge the battery, and then runs off of the battery, so the interference shouldn't go directly to the TV (or at least that's my understanding). Has anyone tried this? Is there any reason it won't work that way? Has anyone tried this? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Paul

I don't know if the pink and green lines on your screen are due to power disturbances, but it's a possibility.

About your UPS as a line conditioner the answer is yes, most UPSs perform some conditioning, but unless you have a double conversion unit (on-line unit) the conditioning could not be good enough for most loads and/or operating conditions.

Hope this help,

jpm@ieee.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back