Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uppercase/Lowercase in Titles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

manhunter2826

Technical User
Apr 26, 2006
US
Please bear with me on this one. It's good practice (maybe even Good English??) to emphasize and deemphasize uppercase/lowercase in titles. Does anyone know what this is called (where the unimportant words are lowercase)??

Examples:

The Village of the Damned. (NOT The Village Of The Damned)

Night at the Museum. (NOT Night At The Museum)

Sex and the City.

etc.

I think it's just called Title Case.

And I wouldn't say those are "unimportant" words that aren't capitalized - the titles you listed wouldn't make much sense without them....

Off the top of my head (I'm sure someone with more knowledge and/or an authoritative link will provide a more detailed list), in titles one does not capitalize articles (a, the, etc.) or other "short" words of just a few letters. Those short words include at least some prepositions (of, at, etc.).

You always capitalize the first and last word(s) in a title.

And I think (I'm really reaching for memories of high school here) that you can capitalize any short word if it would be the only non-capitalized word in the title. Example: Little Shop Of Horrors and Little Shop of Horrors would both be correct.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Thanks AH, really appreciated. Didn't mean to say they were 'unimportant'; just didn't have the terminology at hand. Any other replies appreciated. :)

As a general rule, you should always capitalize the first and last words in a title, as well all other nouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. However, you should not capitalize coordinating conjunctions, articles, and short (four or less letters) prepositions.

The two examples "of the Damned" and "at the Museum" follow these rules where the 'of' and 'at' are lowercase since they're short prepositions along with the lowercase article 'the'.

As far as a term for this, I've always known it as Title Capitalization.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

One of many references on the web:
Always capitalize the first and last words of titles of publications regardless of their parts of speech. Capitalize other words within titles, including the short verb forms Is, Are, and Be.

Exception: Do not capitalize little words within titles such as a, an, the, but, as, if, and, or, nor, or prepositions, regardless of their length.
Examples: The Day of the Jackal
What Color Is Your Parachute?
A Tale of Two Cities

from GrammarBook.com: Capitalization

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

I believe this is referred to as "book case" where the significant words are initcaps and the ordinary words such as "and" and "of" are not.

This from a friend in the printing industry.

Regards

T

I was always told that it was called, "That's the way you do it or I flunk you!"

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Correction: [red]"That's the Way You Do It or I Flunk You!"[/red]

[bigsmile]

GS

[red]******^*******
[small]I[/small] [small]Love[/small] [♥] [small]Redundancy.[/small][/red]

I stand corrected!!!! [blush]

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

[ROFL]
@"That's the way you do it or I flunk you!"

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I was looking this up and am astounded that the rule mongers (no offense intended to those rule mongers among the readership) state that regardless of the capitalization used by the author and/or editor and/or publisher of a work that Title Case be used when citing any work. By that standard when my opus (why i hate capital letters) is published I will be forced to wince my way through all of the glowing reviews that cite it as Why I Hate Capital Letters. Obviously art is dead. Long live the critics.

What I would like to know is why do Americans spell english words differently e.g. color when it's actualy colour.

A lot of the spellings are different because we (the English) changed our spelling of some of the words. The same language, when used on opposite sides of the world will 'evolve' at both ends. I suspect the immense use of the Internet will slow down the introduction of endemic mutations.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Part of the "evolving came in the early 19th century when there was a movement to "Americanize" words led by Noah Webster (think Webster's Dictionary)

Some of those words stuck, like color, while others did not, like tung for tongue. Side note, tung is a type of nut used to derive oil for wood finishes so that may be why it didn't catch on. I'm told that tung is Chinese (which dialect?) for heart. The Tung Nut is heart shaped.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I suppose for me I'll knw the langues have diverged when I can't understand CSI !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back