Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

uploading web pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlucier

Instructor
Sep 14, 2001
US
How do I upload an html page to the web?

That all depends. First, you need a more specific destination than "the web". Assuming you actually have such a destination - which means that someone has offered you, or you are paying for, disk space on a web server - then you need to copy your HTML file(s) to a specific directory on that specific server. My favorite way to do that is using a shareware program called WS_FTP. You can download it at or you can try any number of FTP programs by going to and searching on ftp. "FTP" stands for "File Transfer Protocol", and in order to use it, you will need the FTP address of the server in question. That may be something like "ftp.earthlink.com", or it could just be an IP address. You will also need an account login and password. All of these things you can get from your webmaster or ISP. Hope that helps! Let me know if you need more. John Hoarty
jhoarty@quickestore.com

tlucier
First, do you have a host to upload your site to? If not you must get a host. After you have a host you will receive a pass word and instruction to load to there server. You can use the little program that comes with windows OS.or other FTP programs IE.WS_FTP Pro. etc. Now to upload the html page, your will be required to incert the address( and the file path to you host and your user name & password. Next give the location of you page on your PC (C:\doc\webpage) hope you get the idea. Now all you have to do is publish to the host by clicking on publish. Each FTP program has a help section that can give you more detailed information. If you are going to upload more than 20 pg.to your site I would suggest a good FTP program,were you can see the files on your site and your PC.

jcb5565

Hello,
I have FTP'd all the files onto my computer from the website, and made some changes. When I try to upload the files to the romote site, access is denied. What step am I missing? Thanks!

tlucier

if you go to you can get free web space where you can load your webpages. You won't get much space but enough to get you going. It's free and it's a handy place to get started. Also they will guide you through the process of uploading pages and getting your site online.

Or is this too basic information?

É

- :: my FIRST site in XHTML, comments/ criticism/ questions much appreciated!! :)
-

Melissa,

Do you have all the server and login details correct?
Do you have write permission for the directories?

Hope this helps Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

I'm making changes on an existing site done in html.
I was given the ftp address, ip address, username and password for the existing website. I think that is all I need??? I FTP'd to his site, transfered the html pages over, and made changes. I thought I could just uplaod them back over to his remote site using FTP, but my access is denied. After I make changes how do I get into his site? His host is through blazon.com (one I've never heard of) I also have to change some of the photos on the site, how do I do that?
Thanks!![COLOR=green/]
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back