Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uploading files

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPantsTm

Programmer
Jan 22, 2004
US
I'm doing a page that allows people in my group to upload files to our server and I seem to be running into a snag.

For small files (I haven't pinpointed the size yet but around a couple megs I'd say) it uploads no problem, everythings happy. But on larger files, almost instantaneously I get a "Cannot Find Server" page. I've gutted the form call (I'm using PHP) to see if it was something in the code I'm using, so when the button is pressed, nothing should happen atleast in terms of PHP code. Again, in the small files nothing happens as expected but on the bigger files I get "Cannot Find Server". This leads me to believe it has something to do with the server but I'm not sure where to look. I've taken out any calls to check for file sizes. Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas?

Some Details:

Server: Linux

Form:

<form action=&quot;/upload.php&quot; method=&quot;post&quot;
enctype=&quot;multipart/form-data&quot;>
<p> Select a Document to upload:</p>
<input type=&quot;file&quot; name=&quot;uploadedfile&quot; size=&quot;60&quot; />
<p><input type=&quot;submit&quot; name=&quot;submit&quot; value=&quot;Submit&quot; /></p>
<p><input type=&quot;reset&quot; name=&quot;reset&quot; value=&quot;Reset&quot; /></p>
</form>

thank you.

The 8M limit is for Maximum amount of memory a script may consume which isn't quite what I needed to know but good info just the same.

In looking through the php.ini file I did find my problem though. Well, there are two things. One is post_max_size which is 8MB which might be it but I really think it is upload_max_filesize which is at 2MB which is consistent with the size files I've been able to upload. I had thought the max filesize was set in the form but apparently.

Thanks for all your help.

sorry to continue this put I still have the same problem. I've edited php.ini, php.conf in the apache directory, extending any number that has anything remotely to do with file uploads to 10 times what is used to be.

try forum434

its all php all the time -- and a couple of the guys there are really great

Listen All I ask is that You close out a Post You Started!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back