Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uploading files to an intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwbviper

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
GB
Hi there, i am creating a company intranet site for our staff. I was wondering if it is possible to set up a page where ordinary users can enter the site and post files onto the site for other users to dowload without me having to edit the site to set up hyperlinks etc.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

This is a fairly simple request that can get complicated depending on some details that you haven't provided. Your web site could have a link to some folder that would contain these files. With the right server setup, the user would click the 1 static hyperlink and get the directory of files.

Where it could get complicated is in the who and how. If for only a local intranet, the file store location, could be a LAN shared folder. Folder permissions could be set as required through normal LAN sharing capabilities. The other option is to have a folder that can be accessed by FTP and have users upload and download using an FTP application. This could get complicated depending on your permissions/access requirements.

Thanks for you help smah. Think i'll go with trying to find out about setting up a shared LAN folder. Would rather stay away from FTP if possible. Still a bit of a newbie with all of this. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back