Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

uploading database containing linked table

Status
Not open for further replies.

shopwise

Technical User
Sep 22, 2008
US
I have uploaded a database1 containing a linked table (to another database) thus creating a remote copy of it in addition to the one residing locally on my machine.

Online users will be modifying this databas1e and I would like to download it periodically and replace my local copy with the remote copy.

The linked table that this database1 contains is linked to another database2 residing on my local machine only. When downloading the database1, I do not want to overwrite the database2 linked table information.

Will I be doing so?
Additionally, when do linked tables refresh, automatically, upon opening them in Access?

Yes you will be modifying data in database2 ... or more likely, the links will be broken because the source for the linked tables is not accessible from another machine.

Access hardcodes the address of linked tables so even though you have copied a linked table to a new database, the link is still pointing to its original source.

Since database2 resides on your local machine it is likely that the new database will have broken links on another machine since the link is now pointing to some non-existant mdb file.

Linked tables don't "refresh" in the sense that the system will automatically modify or recompute link information. That happens only when you use the linked table manager or run code to deliberately change the link information.

Take a look at Replication

HTH << MaZeWorX >> "I have not failed I have only found ten thousand ways that don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back