Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uploaded Files Over 50K are Corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glowball

Programmer
Oct 6, 2001
US
Hi all, I'm having a weird issue and I'm not sure how to solve it. I can use CF8 to upload any size file I'd like and I get no errors. I'm storing the files themselves in an Oracle database. If the file is over 50K, though, I cannot download it. These are all PDFs and it says the file is corrupt when I try to open files over 50K.

I don't know server administration at all. Is there a setting that could allow for a 100K upload but then mishandle it when it gets there? I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. It doesn't matter how the PDF was created (I've tried different machines, different versions of Acrobat, and different originating software). It's the 50K cutoff.

Any ideas? Thanks!

What do you mean by "storing them in an oracle Database"?

If you are saving them as some kind of binary data type in your database I suspect the database field type you are using has a size limit and you should probably ask this question in the oracle forum.

Maybe you could provide more detail on your storage strategy.

Lyndon

---People Remember about 10% of what you say ---They never forget how you made them feel. Covey

I've done some more troubleshooting this morning. The files are being inserted into the database correctly as a BLOB -- the file size is the same in Oracle as it is on my computer. I'm getting no errors from ColdFusion or Oracle upon upload.

However, when I download the file (retrieve the binary and use ColdFusion to allow a file download) it is getting cut off at 64K. If the file size is more than 64K in Oracle I am still only given 64K of it. I can't imagine this is an Oracle issue. It really seems like it must be a setting in ColdFusion.

sounds much like what I'm seeing, but unfortunately I don't have access to the CF Server Admin utility. I need to do the troubleshooting myself and then make a specific request to our CF Admin.

I've asked for the fix detailed in that link. Hopefully that solves the issue.

Instructions:

1. log into cf8 administrator (2. select Data & Services sub-menu
3. select data sources
4. select the data source name you want to modify
5. select the Show Advanced Settings button
6. check the BLOB -- Enable binary large object retrieval (BLOB) checkbox
7. enter a value in the Blob Buffer(bytes) form item. (the default is 64000)
8. submit the form.

Lyndon

---People Remember about 10% of what you say ---They never forget how you made them feel. Covey

The advice in the link I provided matches what you advise, and when our Admin did that it solved the issues. Hopefully this helps someone else. Thanks for your time, Lyndon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back