Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upload Images: Database Table or File Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2compliant

Programmer
May 11, 2000
US
I am trying to find the best solution to upload image files and display them later from a content management site.

The problem is that the images are uploaded from a user to an Intranet server but are displayed to a customer from the Internet server.

Any suggestions on which option is better: uploading to a file directory or to a database table?

Hi

i think that a database table would be better to load to...it will allow you to be able to program your page to dynamically load images without combing through a file. you can also keep all the images and use them again if need be, much more quickly. You will alo get a little more conrol over the image loading using CHUNKS to control the download of the images when viewed by the client machines...this will improve the speed of the link and keep your users from waiting to long...

Bastien

If you decide to hold the files in a database, wouldn't that bloat the size of the database? I'm currently trying to accomplish a similar task. Instead of uploading the files to a database(because of the size factor mentioned above), I have them going directly to the server as the original message did. I also have a few fields in the form that allow me to gather information regarding the file (i.e name, description, etc). Now, the obstacle I face is :
"Cannot use Request.Form collection after calling BinaryRead."

Is there any way to pass the values in the fields into a database while uploading the files to the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back