Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirvana80

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
GB
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to upgrade a windows NT 4.0 Server SP6a to a Windows 2003 Server. I'm doing that on a test conputer that doens't have the same hardware. When I boot from a windows 2003 server Cd-rom I only get the option to install the New operating system separetetly from NT and I don't have any option to upgrade. I've been searching a lot but I didn't really find a place where somebody explain the actual process of doing the upgrade. Everybody says it's possible but how. First of all I'd like to know why I don't have the option to upgrade but only the one to do a new fresh install. Do I need a Windows 2003 Upgrade disk, or a normal disk will do? Is there any difference in the upgrade from Windows NT 4.0 Server to Windows 2003 Server and the upgrade from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2003 SBS(Small Business Server).

Thank you for your help.
Nirvana.

Not sure about NT4 to W2003 (only done up to 2k) but strangely enough I was at a Technet conference yesterday where your 2nd question was covered.

You can't upgrade from NT4 to SBS 2003. Only a migration is possible. Plus they highly recommend it as a safer option.

Going back to first question. Don't think there is such a thing as a W2003 upgrade CD. Maybe an upgrade license but CD's should all be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back