Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Windows ME to XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim58

Technical User
Feb 1, 2004
CA
I have a Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM & 40GB Hard Srive. It was shipped from Dell with ME on it 3 years ago & has performed well. I need to upgrade to XP Pro to meet my Accounting Software requirements.
Can I install XP Pro over top of ME & preserve my existing stuff, or am I better to blow ME away first?

Your better off installing a fresh XP system. TECHNICALLY, you can upgrade Me to XP, but in my experience, you'll have a 50/50 chance of having problems - including a very good chance at having strange problems that are not easily - if at all - resolved.

Windows Me is based on old 16bit technology with a 32bit shell. Upgrading to XP with a true 32bit OS generally doesn't work well.

I agree with lwcomputing, I performed a similar upgrade a couple of years ago and did a fresh install after trying an upgrade from ME. Too many nagging issues with the upgrade that did not appear after the fresh install.
Be sure to run the microsoft advisor to see what, if any, products they will list as potential problems before your upgrade.

Agree with the above, A fresh install of XP Pro will save you many many hours of uncessary problem solving.

However before you do, I suggest going to the Dell website, and download the required Windows XP drivers for your hardware from there. As Windows ME drivers will more than likely not work in XP. Once you've downloaded the drivers burn them to a CD. and have them ready when you install

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Strange that as you say Dell shipped a machine with Windows ME on it three years ago. I thought even that far back ME was practically extinct or at least dead in the water.

Clean install of XP (or even Vista) is the way to go.

You can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to carry across your files and settings from ME.

306186 - HOW TO: Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard By Using the Windows XP CD-ROM

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

For more help (shows enlargeable screenshots) go here.

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP(Q316639)

310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

An after thought; you do mean upgrading from Windows ME and not Windows Media Center Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back