Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Windows 2003 r2 Standard x32 to 2008 r2 Standard x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

2marshall8

Technical User
Jul 29, 2006
US
I have a single domain controller with a member server and I want to upgrade this DC to Windows 2008 R2 Standard. How is this upgrade accomplished while retaining all active directory settings and existing applications?

thanks

Are you attempting to do an in place upgrade or this on new hardware?

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Here is the scenario. I will be taking an existing server running windows 2003 r2 standard, creating an image using shadowprotect, and applying that image to this new server which is 64 bit hardware.

Unfortunately on windows 2003 r2 standard 4 gb is max. so on this new hardware I need an OS that support more than 24gb of RAM. 2008 r2 suits this perfectly. I would like to just purchase windows 2008 r2 standard and put in the cd and perform the upgrade. I need to make sure that my active directory domain stays intact along with the other necessary programs which are installed on the server.

I would NEVER advocate doing anything like this in a single DC environment. In fact, you should always have at least two DCs.

See faq1674-7371

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

I only have one DC so this is all I have to work with. Please advise on the situation I'm faced with and if this is possible.

Bottom line is I'm asking if I can upgrade Windows 2003 R2 Standard x32 to Windows 2008 R2 Standard x64 and retain the state of my domain controller and applications. I don't want to do a complete re-install.

thanks

You can not upgrade an x86 OS to an x64 OS. This will not work. You'll need to stand up another server then format and reinstall this machine.

That or take a backup of AD, then format the server and install the x64 OS, then restore AD to the server. (This should be tested before being done.)

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

I think I will end up just upgrading to 2003 r2 enterprise as RAM is my main reason to upgrade.

thanks

Keep in mind that adding memory will only be so helpful on an x86 OS.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

A more viable solution might be to take the second machine, make it a Hyper-V server, create several guest VMs, and move things there. I'd take all of those apps and put them on a member server. Having apps and other resources on a DC is not only not recommended, but a considerable security risk. You'd end up with various VMs that you could tailor the RAM for, and adjust as needed.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back