Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrading video card, question about drivers?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoldos

Technical User
Nov 5, 2008
US
I'm upgrading from a GeForce 7900 GTX to a GeForce 9800 GT. I'm currently using ForceWare 178.xx and have downloaded the newest ForceWare 185.xx drivers. How do I go about upgrading the drivers? Should I uninstall the old ones first, then put the new card in, and install the newer drivers? I had problems with this before so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks to all who reply!

Since both cards are compatible with the same driver package, I recommend you install the new card first. The nVidia control panel utility should automatically adjust to support the new card. It wouldn't hurt to reboot once more before upgrading to the latest drivers (that gives at least one boot sequence for the new card to get settled).

I'm not sure what happen to you before, but hopefully it was just a fluke and won't happen to you this time around!

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

What I would do is go to the device manager and delete the current graphics card and then power down the machine and change the cards over, when you reboot it 'should' discover the card again and install the drivers (already cached on the machine).

I have done it this way and not had any issues before.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Yes, you can remove it from Device Manager first if you really want to. However from my experience, it does not matter either way.

Even though it's not listed in Device Manager after you remove it, the resources allocated to it are still in use. Also when you add the new card, the old card entry should drop out on its own, making it optional to remove it yourself...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I appreciate both of these suggestions. I think I'll try what cdogg mentioned since yes, both cards are Nvidia GeForces (7900 GTX to 9800 GT).

I think I remember what happened before, I am pretty sure I went from an ATI Radeon to an Nvidia GeForce and my computer went nuts. Spent the better part of an evening fixing it. :)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back