Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading vfp8 project to vfp9

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotalBeginner

Technical User
Nov 29, 2004
GB
I have a project and resulting exe that has been being built in VFP8 and we are currently upgrading to VFP 9.0.
Can anyone tell me if there is anything I need to specifically do to upgrade the project and then build an exe in VFP 9.0?
I have opened the project in VFP9 , recompiled it and then built the exe to start testing it but this seems a little simple so I am concerned that I could cause errors within the exe due to not preparing the project properly

Thanks in advance

The key thing is distributing the runtime environment.

Your new .exe will not run without some files being 'visible' on the target machines.

I made up a 'refresh' pack for VFP9 a while ago, that installs the required files (assuming the user has the right access rights).

Typically the files would be:

Code:
vfp9r.dll
vfprenu.dll
msvcr71.dll
gdiplus.dll

These all go into the system32 folder.

You *can* also install them into the same folder that the .exe runs from.

Good luck

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Moving to VFP9 went really smooth. I especially like the new docking feature in forms as it allows you to make nicer GUI's.
/Micael

TotalBeginner,

In addition to the useful information that Griff has given you, there are several minor changes in VFP 9.0 that could affect your application. For example, there are changes in the use of DISTINCT, HAVING and UNION clauses in SQL SELECT, and some other changes relating to cursor adapters and grids.

You should review the Help topic "Changes in Functionality for the Current Release" to see if any of these changes affect you.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

To All

Thanks for the speedy replies.

We have registered the first 3 dll's on the machines that will use the exe but I will have to check gdiplus.dll I think that might have been missed.

The reason that I was concerned about changes to how to build the exe is that we have read the paperwork and have been looking through for areas where DISTINCT, UNION etc are being used - we think we have them but now need to test we caught them all but I didn't want to cause any other problems by building the exe wrongly.

Wendy

Would I be right in thinking you can set the 'behaviour' to match VFP8 using a 'SET ENGINEBEHAVIOUR' command?

I've not used it...

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Would I be right in thinking you can set the 'behaviour' to match VFP8 using a 'SET ENGINEBEHAVIOUR' command?

Yes (except that it's ENGINEBEHAVIOR, not ENGINEBEHAVIOUR (I'm sure you knew that).

You would set it to 80 to overcome the specific SQL issues I mentioned. It doesn't affect anything other than SQL.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

I'm not SURE I did, but I am SURE VFP would have let me know pretty quickly!

B-)

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back