Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading to VB.Net 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaworthBantam

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
GB
We, myself and two other developers, have been advised to stop developing using VB6.0 and move to VB.Net. The rumour mill is in overdrive and has us believe that our organisation is moving away from the current Microsoft platform of NT4.0. To what it will move to we have no idea yet, Linux and Unix have been mentioned though.

Now this is the wrong place for me to ask for specific advice on whether .net will run on another operating system etc, etc, but can anyone point me to a site that can give me more information ? The Microsoft site understandibly, just wants to sell it's own products. what I want is unbiased information on the pros and cons, platforms that you can develop on and platforms the finished product will run on.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks.

If my understanding is correct, .net is STILL Microsoft, therefore it is designed to only work in a Windows environment. In a rapidly changing tech world, that seems to be the one constant... Microsoft products are for Windows users ONLY! Personally, I think Bill needs to change his way of thinking. Open source seems to be getting more and more popular, even with the general public, not just us geeks.

Just my opinion.

tbuch

You can install both VB6 and VB .Net on the same machine. Therefore you are not really upgrading but rather making both available to you.

Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back