Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading to Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron37

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
Hello,
I'm currently running an intranet with windows 2000 professional. Since I'm limited to 10 users I'm considering upgrading to windows 2000 server.
I have a lot of programs that I use frequently like sql server, ultradev, grphics programs. Will I still be able to use these programs with the same efficiency on windows 2000 server? I realize that I'm going to have to reinstall everything. I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

thanks,

A.Davis

UNfortunately you will need to insatall everything from scratch. Before you start doing it, make back ups of the data, write down how everything is configured, folder permissions,folder names(shared), user rights, etc, as much information as possible before you make the new installation. That way when everything is done, everything can work the same way you had it before.
Everything that works on win2k Pro, should work on the server version, but if you want to be sure, make a test machine, and install the software there.
Hope this helps A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back