Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading to MCD 5.0 SP1 PR1 phones wont come up

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesBr

Programmer
Jan 29, 2007
CA
Be aware that there is a bug in this load, if the phones won't come up after the upgrade try turning off the default vlan 1 and priority 6-6-3 from option 125...

That's not a bug is a design intent, doc about it on mol, it's to conform with best practice.

can you post a link to the doc as I cant find it anymore on MoL

this is due to the way that the phones now understand vlan tagging

a quick way to understand it is

if you enter a vlan id in the dhcp options form then you most tag the port that a phone is connected to for the voice vlan

CCNA,CCNP,CCVP
HP AIS
Full Mitel

Symptom = After upgrading to 11.0.1.20, 53xx series IP Phone may get stuck at DHCP Discovery

Background Information:
During DHCP discovery cycle, 53xx series IP phone sends untagged (native) DHCP discovery.
If the (native) DHCP server offers option 125 with VLAN ID of N (any value), the IP phone will then release its current IP address and would send VLAN N-tagged DHCP discovery. The proper response to the phone would be a DHCP offer tagged with VLAN N. In a typical VLAN aware device, all outgoing/incoming frames are expected to be tagged.

However, prior to MCD 5.0 SP1, the 53xx IP phone would accept both untagged and/or tagged frames even though it sends tagged frames with VLAN ID of N.

In MCD 5.0 SP1, the firmware for 53xx IP phones has been updated to adhere to the industry standard behavior for VLAN aware devices.

53xx Behavior as of MCD 5.0 SP1
Devices Outgoing frames sent by 53xx IP phone Expected incoming frames to 53xx IP phone Remark
53xx IP phone Tagged with VLAN ID of N Tagged with VLAN ID of N

Note: Untagged frames will be discarded. VLAN ID can be any value from 1 to 4096.
53xx IP phone Untagged untagged

Potential Impact
With the fix introduced in MCD 5.0 SP1, 53xx series IP phone may get stuck at DHCP discovery after the upgrade. On the surface, it may appear to be Mitel issue. The underlying issue is that the new 53xx firmware exposes the misconfiguration issue between Layer 2 switch port and DHCP setting.

Examples and solutions to some of the network misconfiguration.

Case L2 port setting ( in which 53xx is connected) IP phone obtains VLAN ID via Solution
1 Access port ( untagged) for VLAN ID of N DHCP option 125 is configured with VLAN ID of N, and priority of n - Remove the VLAN ID from DHCP option 125
or
- Make the L2 port and access port tagged for VLAN N
2 Access port (untagged) for VLAN ID of N From the LAN policy of LLDP/CDP - Make the L2 port a trunk port tagged for VLAN N
3 Access port (untagged) for native VLAN DHCP option 125 is configured with native VLAN ID of 1 and priority -Remove VLAN 1 and priority from DHCP option 125

Rule of Thumb: If VLAN ID and Priority are assigned to DHCP option 125, L2 port is expected to send and receive Tagged frame with VLAN ID ( In Cisco term, L2 port is configured as a Trunk port)

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

I just had this and it took an age for the phone to boot after taking out the Vlan and priority from the Mitel embedded DHCP. I had set the system up on my own network first and then changed to the Mitel embedded DHCP(which will be used on site) so i wonder if this had anything to do with the delay. I was just about to reboot the 3300 when the phone sprang into life...

Very well, the phone now makes a difference between tagged and untagged.. but what about the cxi, whose default config states that it is using vlan 1 as tagged AND untagged on all the ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back