Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading the CPU and RAM in a Dell Poweredge R410

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyjack2005

Technical User
Dec 8, 2012
GB
Hi,

Sorry in advance for the noob questions, I don't know much about servers :s

I currently have a Dell Poweredge R410 with an Intel Xeon E5502 1.86GHz dual core CPU and 8Gb RAM (4x 2Gb sticks) which I run quite a lot of search engine optimisation software on but the CPU usage is very high so I want to upgrade the CPU. What is the best way of doing this? Presumably if I buy another CPU to go into the 2nd CPU slot, it has to be a E5502 again right? Can I buy any E5502 processor or do you have to buy a pair so they are correctly matched? Am I best buying another E5502 to go into the 2nd CPU slot or am I best buying a better CPU to replace the one I already have? If I do change the CPU/buy another to go into the 2nd slot, do I just attach it and it will just work or will I need to install something?

With regards to the RAM, if i have 2 CPUs, do both RAM blocks have to have exactly the same amount of RAM or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance

You can just install another E5502, if you do, it needs it's own memory. It doesn't have to be the same size as the memory for CPU1, but it won't hurt if it is. If your memory amount is good for what you are doing with the server, I'd look at just dropping in a faster quad core, like an E5540. Flash the bios before you do, if you aren't at the latest level. There will be fixes, and updates to the stepping of the cpu's. Or even a hexacore cpu would be possible, 5600 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back