Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading Server edition from R8.1GA release to Newest R9.1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneMan777

Programmer
Aug 1, 2010
US
Hey guys, I have to upgrade a server edition solution from the original GA version of server edition up to the newest R9.1.7.
I know that the unit have to be at least 8.1.1.0 to go up to R9.1 but I am curious if you guy would recommend that I upgrade to a newer version of 8.1 and then to 9.1 or should I upgrade to R9 first on all nodes and then to R9.1?

In 8.1 the incoming call routes are at the solution level. I am just curious if anyone has upgraded from that old to the newest and what happens to your incoming call routes since in the newer versions they are programmed directly onto whatever node has the PRI cards for example. Do you have to reprogram them all or do they convert some how?

I am also wondering if anyone have had any serious issues with the 9.1.7 version of Server edition or have even used it?

Thanks!

I have an upgrade from 9.0GA release to 9.1 pending and I am going with 9.1.6 because I am old and wimpy or should I say experienced and smart?
I am not even sure I would install a 9.1.7 from scratch nevertheless upgrade.
I have been burnt with some new stuff from Avaya and a release that brings out critical patches the same day as the release, doesn't seem kosher to me.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

1: Backup everything thoroughly before you start.
2: Make sure you have a copy of the V8.1 server edition so you can roll back if necessary.

If Avaya know how to work properly with Linux then upgrading should be no problem, my personal opinion is they still have room for improvement in this area.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Thanks guys. That doesn't sound very promising, Has anyone ever been successful with upgrading?
Do you know what that 9.1.7 Critical Patch is for?

The patch is for LDAP directory integration. The important patches are kept secret by AVAYA.

Upgrading the servers from 8.1 to 9.1 should work well. But to be sure check for any required upgrade steps in release notes. I recommend to upgrade by booting the servers from ISO or DVD.

IP500V2 expansions have to take a step in between as you know to increase bootloader size. You can do it manually with Manager or by recreating the SD card. No need to make that upgrade step on the server.

Solution wide settings are always replicated to all nodes. So after upgrading to 9.1 you will not find the ICR section in the solution area but you will find it the same for every node. Even if the line groups are not available in theses nodes. No need to worry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back