Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrading RH9 to FC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedawk

Programmer
Feb 5, 2002
US
Hi,

I am upgrading Redhat 9 to Fedora. A small question occurred: the first didn't boot. My current systen is:

Win98/RH 9 dual boot. boot sequence; cdrom, harddrive.

When systems boot(either win98 or RH9), it just directly went to win98 or RH9. The first FC disk didn't seem to boot. But some spinning on the CDROM can be heard. I md5check the checksums of the burned CDs are correct.

Don't know what else to check. any suggestions on what way to upgrade to FC?

Thanks.

Are you able to boot with other bootable CDs? Try downloading KNOPPIX and see if it will boot properly.

You can always create a boot floppy from the FC CD (instructions are on the boot CD about how to do this) and boot from floppy instead.

It really sounds as if there is either a scratch on the CD, or your CDROM is having difficulties.

pansophic

If the disks for FC aren't bootable or you aren't able to boot from them for some other reason, from windows go to the dosutils directory (or whatever they call these days), and use rawrite to create a boot floppy with the proper image on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back