Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading RAID Controller on Dell Poweredge 6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmarchini

Technical User
Sep 21, 2005
GB
I've recently determined that our Perc3dc RAID controller is causing a bottleneck on the server, I have purchased an LSI MegaRAID SCSI 320-2X which is compatible with the Dell Motherboard technology. I have had experience in setting up logical drives and raid array but i need some assistance as this is the first time I have had to swap out the raid controller.

If I swap out the Raid controller and use the same disks to create the same logical drives will all the data still be there? I'm not sure if i have to rebuild the server or not.

If anyone can answer this question or suggest a method of swapping the Raid controllers without losing data and having to rebuild it would be a great help.

thanks
Nick

Don't know anything specific about that type of raid card but generally since the array is built with one type of controller and you go to change out the controller with a different one that will have a different way of setting up the array you will not be able to retain the data.

There is no way of swapping a raid card with a completly different type of raid card and not have to re-create your array and reload your data that I am aware of.

Thanks for the info, thats what I thought but needed someone to confirm my thoughts. It will be a big job swapping the card as this is our live finance server, will be pulling some weekend overtime to get it done.

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back