Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading R210 SBC to 7.2 - BIOS help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle555

Technical User
Mar 8, 2010
CA
Anybody get a R210 up to 7.2.0GA where you need to do the BIOS update? Avaya really copped out on the documentation there and just posted a link to Dell's website for the 2.1.2 BIOS to use. Figured the easiest way was FreeDOS bootable USB with the standalone executable. It booted. The executable executed. And then it said something like "you're trying to install BIOS T110 2.1.2 on a system with BIOS type 'null'" or something and failed to actually upgrade.

The 7.2.0GA upgrade requires the BIOS update be in place, so I was only able to get as far as 7.1.2 from 6.3.7.

I'm sure it's simple and just a matter of knowing the trick, but has anybody got any tips on what makes R210II BIOS upgrades not a frustrating waste of time?

Another little nugget of joy I found was possibly relating to sbce-add.patch.tar.gz. From 6.3.6 or 7, you apply 2 pre-install patches, then upgrade to 7.1.0, and then you apply sbce-add.patch.tar.gz if you want/need to add SBCs or if you were replacing a hardware SBC.

As my upgrade was EMS+HA SBC, I figured I'd finish the job on the EMS first before upgrading the SBCs - to say, upgrade 7.1.0 and then apply the sbce-add.patch.tar.gz. When I got to upgrading the SBCs, they'd fail for being unable to connect to the EMS to get a copy of the database. Upon reading the upgrade script, I noticed that the "password for connecting to the EMS's database" was hard-coded to 'postgres'. I can't think of anywhere you'd ever change the postgres password of the EMS, but I certainly had to change it to 'postgres' to make the upgrade script work on the SBCs.

I don't know about the R210 but for the Avaya provided R610, R620, R630, etc. they are provided from Dell with an OEM BIOS which is kind of what it sounds like here since BIOS type shows up as null. Is there anywhere from Avaya to get a BIOS for that server?

Na, they totally copped out in the 7.2.0 Release Notes and just linked to Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back