Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading OS when MOSS 07 is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloksin

Technical User
Jun 13, 2004
US
I'm running MOSS 07 on a Windows Server 2003 SP2 box with SQL Server 05 installed. I want to upgrade to server 08 and SQL server 08. Does anyone have any documentation and/or tips on the best way to do this without blowing up the MOSS installation?

How large of a site are we talking about? My suggestion would be to backup the site using the builtin tools, restore the site on a server 2003 test box perforn the upgrade. Ideally the two servers would be as similar as possible, but even using a workstation for this purpose would be better than nothing. I have not seen any documentation regarding this type of upgrade.

Is this server also a dc?

Its a small site, single server configured for a farm installation, planning on adding servers as the site grows. Its still in the testing stages, so its not live. The server 08 compatibility test keeps saying I need to remove WSS 3.0. It gives KB 943605 as a reference. I followed the steps in that KB but it still gives me the same message. I went forward with the upgrade, its in progress right now. I'll post back when its done and give the results.

I did do a full backup from within MOSS, plus the whole server was backed up prior to executing.

I imagine the easiest thing to do would be to just restore MOSS from the backup after the upgrade.

I cannot imagine doing this without a test run....

Good luck!

Well like I said, the whole thing is still in the testing stages, so this is really my test run. The upgrade is finished, and it went rather smoothly too. It took about an hour, and afterwards I opened up central administration, all my sites are there and functioning properly. I still need to check on the search indexes, but other than that it seems to have gone off without a hitch.

Nice. I'm glad to hear it. I'm sure your information will help me at some point in the future.

Btw, was the SharePoint site SP2+?

It was not SP2 the first time I ran server 08's compatibility test. But after doing some research I learned sharepoint needs to be on at least SP1 in order to be compatable with 08, so I upgraded Sharepoint to SP2 prior to doing the upgrade. Currently I'm on server 08 with all of the security updates installed from Microsoft, and sharepoint version 12.0.0.6421. Today I'm upgrading from SQL server 2005 to SQL server 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back