Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrading Mer Mail on 11c or move to BCM with call pilot? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmjarby

Technical User
Jan 10, 2004
CA
I've been advised that our Mermail is old and should really be upgraded to CallPilot to ensure continued support and service.

Since we're running an 11C, one vendor has recommend just the Call Pilot upgrade. A second vendor has recommended that we move to a new BCM with CallPilot (and all the other features).

The second option is attractive since it would give us more features and control over our PBX while at the same time reducing our annual maintenace by 50%. This could justify the extra cost over about 5 years.

Here's my question, given our 11c is about 8 years old, does it make sense to add CallPilot to it or is it better to migrate to a new platform like BCM? (We only need about 100 stations, a single PRI, perhaps 1 or 2 remote IP phones and don't have any call centre needs).

Any advise, comments would be appreciated!

i would never recogmend taking out a pbx and putting in a key system, neither would anyone else except a sales person. an opt 11 can expand to meet future growth, i don't know the limits of a bcm but i do know most users find them very hard to get all the bugs out of. my company deos sell them but not to users that already have a pbx. they are a great upgrade from a ics. but a big downgrade from a switch. yes they are cheaper for good reason, if you don't mind your phones being down when you need to reboot the server, go ahead and save a buck or two. you will get a different response on the key system forum. but you want be talking to people who maintain 10f00's of users on 100's of systems

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I'm with john poole. I look after 32 meridians & 5 bcm's for a health company & in general the pbx is has the following advantages

you can report or gather stas on most things (try listing the toll bar values etc on bcm)

greater flexibility for upgrades, system expansion etc

i would upgrade to succesion & call pilot

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but i need some help also. My name is Shawn and my company purchased some Meridian switches and Mer mail also. I need to know is there a site or any info on basic LD's and comand for the mer mail. If you can help me thank you. Shawn , VA

here is a copy of the books, better to just start a new thread, more people will see it. if you have the passwords, from the > prompt logi enter pass enter, ld 20 prt enter dnb enter enter enter.. that will give you all the numbers (dns) programed in the switch. analog phones are built in ld 10 dig in load 11, repost if you have more detailed questions

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back