Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading memory on my 3620. Help! Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webnetwiz

MIS
Mar 30, 2001
US
My Cisco 3620 router needs to be upgraded to IOS 12.2.7 from 11.2.14 (11.2(14)P)
According to Cisco, I need at least 16Mb of Flash and 48Mb of RAM. Now RAM is not an issue since I can get that from Crucial and the router came with 32Mb RAM, so I only ned to add another 32Mb to max it out. The issue is Flash memory. a 16Mb System Flash module (not Flash card) from Cisco is like $1000 bucks, which I'm reluctant to shell out. But according to Cisco, I can get a $400 Flash card that would work just as well in one of the PCMCIA slots.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions in regards to my situation. I need to get the latest IOS to plug that SNMP hole.

David

Actually you can go to Kingston and spend a lot less on the flash card then paying for Cisco's overpriced card..

I ran dual 3640s off flash cards with no problem.. I actually preferred flash cards with a small version of an IOS on the internal flash cards in case of a meltdown.

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

I just upgraded a 2610 router with 32M DRAM and 16M Flash from Kingston for $200 total. Purchased from Solutions4sure.com
Working great and saved me $1600 compared to Cisco's price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back