Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrading IOS on 6513 with sup720

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulk29

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
Guys,
you've helped me out before so here goes again;

I want to upgrade my IOS on a 6513, the device has two supervisors ( sup720 ), each having one flash card. Whats the best way to do this ? Can anyone give me step by step directions ( with commands ) also I'd like to have the old IOS stored elsewhere in case the new IOS fails?
See below for IOS stored:
HOASC01#sh sup-bootflash
-#- ED ----type---- --crc--- -seek-- nlen -length- ---------date/time--------- name
1 .. image 57BE7762 2A084C8 32 43549768 Jan 29 2005 02:38:11 +00:00 s72033-jk9sv-mz.122-17d.SXB6.bin

HOASC01#sh bootflash
No files on device

65536000 bytes available (0 bytes used)

What does this mean...???

Many thanks

Paul

Paul Kilcoyne B eng. CCNA

There are multiple flash devices available to a Sup720 (or Sup1, Sup2) when running Native IOS.

sup-bootflash: This is the flash installed on the Supervisor and is readable at initial boot and when the IOS code is loaded.

bootflash: This is the MSFC flash and is installed on the MSFC. It is not readable at initial boot and is only accessible after the Supervisor has initially booted.

sup-slot1: This is the Supervisor PCMCIA flash card (or Compact Flash card with Sup720). This is accessible at initial boot and after IOS has booted.

The separate flash on the Supervisor & MSFC is generally for when you are running Hybrid code where CatOS runs on the Supervisor and IOS Runs on the MSFC - each boots off its own flash. For you situation you are running Integrated (Native) IOS so you should boot either from the sup-bootflash: or the sup-slot1:
If you want a fallback IOS I would get some Compact Flash cards for the Supervisors and copy your new IOS to that. That way if you have a problem you can set the 2nd boot string to boot from the sup-bootflash:

Andy

Andy,
thanks for that it clears alot up in my mind.

Anyway what I did was;
1. delete disk0: "old IOS image"

2. copied the new ios to disk0:
copy ftp disk0: "new IOS image"
etc.
All seemed to go well.

2. Once complete could see from a sh disk0: the new IOS was present.

3. configure the following as suggested;
boot system flash disk0:
boot system flash sup-bootflash:
4. Reloaded the Switch
reload

On reboot the Switch had switched active Supervisor and reverted to old image on sup-bootflash, also the supervisor on which Disk0 resided was now in a "cold" state.

So I did a cold boot and saw the following output on boot up:

Autoboot executing command: "boot disk0:"
boot: cannot determine first file name on device "disk0:"

What has happened?

Cheers

Paul

Paul Kilcoyne B eng. CCNA

Paul

Do you have other files on the ATA card disk0:, as if you don't specify a filename in the boot command it attempts to boot the 1st file in the file system. Try specifying the complete boot string: 'boot disk0:cat-ios.bin'. Otherwise it could be a format issue, try formatting the ATA card and re-copying the image.

Andy

This is a specific link on how to upgrade code on a 6500 running Native IOS.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back