Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrading from VB6 to .NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

garths2

Programmer
Jan 15, 2002
US
I have just started using VS.NET and like the new features, however I am unclear about what is necessary on the clients to run an application that was compiled in VS.NET. Does the client OS need to be NT 4.0 or XP? Do all the clients need to have the CLR? I would love to start using VS.NET but I don't think we can afford the cost of upgrading if we have to touch all of the clients.

You'll have to touch all the clients. The .NET framework (aka runtime) must be installed on any machine that wants to run .NET programs.

The good news is that Microsoft is making every effort to get the framework included in the setups of all their products, so if you ever upgrade Office or Outlook, you might get the framework as a bonus :)

Chip H.
Error on line 9: Object of type SIGNATURE expected

Does this mean the .Net framework will be included in Office XP?

I don't know any specific programs that MS will package the framework in, just that they have stated that they will attempt to distribute it as widely as possible.

Something else to consider is that there'll be several versions of the framework installed on a person's PC. Say they bought XP last winter, which came with the framework. Obviously, VS.NET has just now come out, and I'm sure that it has many improvements. You will probably have to distribute the newer framework with your app if you use any of the new features. (and no, I have no idea what they are -- there must be a readme somewhere that details it).

Chip H.
Error on line 9: Object of type SIGNATURE expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back