Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from NT4 to Windows 2000 server, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

carleveall

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2003
GB
I have the following problem. We have been running 2 servers within our company. 1 NT4 server and a Windows 2000 server. The NT4 server was the PDC and the Windows 2000 server is just a stand alone server. We have recently upgraded the NT4 server to Windows 2000 and kept it the PDC. What we want to do now is make the other Windows 2000 server the PDC and the recently upgraded Windows 2000 server the BDC, as it is the slower of the 2 servers. Can someone give me the appropriate steps to do this in very simplified terms?
Our domain name was "domain" but we have changed the DNS to "network.ourcompany.com" Do we have to register this DNS with a Service Provider before we can configure the 2 servers. We have already previously registered the name "ourcompany.com" Can someone give me the steps to sort out this problem?

Don't believe you can change a server into a domain controller, you will need to re-install Windows.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

NortonES2 is correct. Unfortunately 2k network isn't like the old NT network. You can't promote a stand alone 2k server to a domain controller. You have to bring the 2k in as either a domain controller or just a stand alone server.

But whatever you make it that's what it is.

Windows 2000 cannot serve as a BDC, it has to be the PDC. You do NOT have to reinstall windows to make it a domain controller. To make your W2K member server into a domain controller, click Start --> Run and type dcpromo. Follow the directions to install active directory and you will be on your way to having an additional DC in your domain.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Zoe is absolutely correct, the original Win2000 server can be promoted to a DC.

Since you have already promoted the original NT PDC into a mixed mode Win 2000 Domain controller, you are half way there. While NT used PDC and BDC the Win2000 only used the term DC for the controllers, and in mixed mode the DC can emulate the PDC function (but can not be a BDC) to support other non-Win2000 users. Once the first Win200 DC is in place, it is easy to add others.

Run the dcpromo on the Win 2000 stand alone server and you will have a second DC to back up your Win2000-PDC emulator! Be sure you keep the WINS server function active as long as you have the mixed mode configuration also, as NT and Win98 boxes need this to be available. I am assuming you added DNS to the WIN2000-DC-PDC emulator box also along with the active directory.

HTH

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back