Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from Netware 6 to 6.5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghallan

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
GB
Hi
I am trying to create a proceedure to upgrade from netware 6 to 6.5 in a pure ip environment.

I created a 6 box in its own tree and used the NW6.5 deployment manager to upgrade from a workstation

All the health checks seemed to complete satisfactorily and the upgrade went without a hitch, however on rebooting the server a message appears "STARTUP.NCF will not be executed" the hardware drivers are re-detected and most of the autoexec.ncf is not run. When I run the remainder of the Autoexec.ncf manually all appears to be well. Is there a simple answer or has something major gone wrong.

This is a test box and tree but I need a reliable method as I have several servers to upgrade

thanks

The NW6.5 install is much different than previous versions.. After the upgrade that you are referring to (Which is really just a file copy), it reboots but then goes through the actual upgrade process, which is what you have described. Hardware drivers are all matched up and configured, and stuff like that. You should let it proceed and finish what it is trying to do. Once all is said and done, the server should get one final reboot and startup normally.

If however, you get stuck in that loop and it will never come up normally, then yes something went wrong, but it's not that big of deal. There is a file in the C:\NWSERVER folder that has to be modified.. I can't remember offhand what it's called. There was another post a while back referring to that same thing that you might be able to find.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Home of the BLUEGUNK Punk

got i should have remembered this - only ever seen it once
i personally prefer just to do the upgrade from the server or from a rilo rather than from workstation - just my preference maybe lazyness to carry laptop or whatever

basically delete the c:\nwserver\config.nw
then it reads the proper autoexec etc rather than the temp

this is rare though - as i say - this is the only time i have every seen this

Thanks Marv and Terry

You were absolutely right, I renamed the config.nw file and rebooted and the server started normally. All appears to be well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back