Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from Exchange 2003 to 2007 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbritton18

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2007
CA
What steps are needed in upgrading from Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange 2007?

Oh, I use it occasionally...but I sort of like the look of the HTML with the *exact* search I did right there in front of them...it's the evil side of me and all... ;-)

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

I guess what I should have said is what kind of problems have people had migrating from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007.

None, if they do it right.

We're not trying to be smartasses (it's just our nature)...and we understand your hesitation. But really, this is a very well worn path now (from 2003 to 2007), so any "gotchas" are going to be noted in any of the thousands of documented pages available for you to peruse via Google (and you should be perusing those pages before you begin).

- install new 2007 server
- confirm connection to existing 2003 server
- migrate users to new server
- fix anything that's wrong
- remove old server
- fix anything that's wrong
- drink beer, move on to next project

Thanks for the information Davetoo. I just wanted to make sure that I was doing this correctly.

There is a pretty good set of articles my old site, msexchange.org, that details the steps you need to take.

Proper design is a MUST. This includes using all of the tools made available to make sure your design is capable of what you expect of it - from availability to performance.

Once you start down the path, use
How to Remove the Last Legacy Exchange Server from an Organization
as a final checklist.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Design of the hardware is critical.
Design of the project plan is also critical.

Having Tek Tips in hand in case of problems. Also critical.

Pat, Dave and I have all done 2003 to 2007 professionally and quite probably personally too (I know I have) and if you follow the steps it should be smooth.

Zelandakh said:
Pat, Dave and I have all done 2003 to 2007 professionally and quite probably personally too (I know I have) and if you follow the steps it should be smooth.
Does 7 Dell PowerEdge servers at home count? :)

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Yes it counts. It counts as *sad* in one way but I now feel happier that I'm not the geekiest Exchange MVP - makes my 2003 Exchange and DC box, 2007 MB box, 2007 HT/CAS box and 2003 x64 DC box look rather less geeky.

*Sadly*, I must divulge that I have a gaming system at home...and that's it. After spending time cooking, helping my boys with their homework, then cleaning, I'm afraid the little bit of time I have each evening is spent killing computerized graphical representations of others like me online. :)

Zelandakh said:
I now feel happier that I'm not the geekiest Exchange MVP
Yeah, that title would likely go to me. But I work from home, so I blame it on that... :)

Pat Richard MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back