Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from Exch 2000 to Exch 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdurham

MIS
Sep 14, 2005
US
I would like to do a semi in-place upgrade to Exchange 2003 from Exchange 2000. What I mean by semi in-place is the following:

I just installed a second exchange 2000 server on a Windows 2K server wSP4 and SP3 for exchange. I have moved one mailbox (mines) to the new server successfully. My domain is already upgraded to 2003 on the domain level and Forest level. I have ran the Exchange 2003 Deployment tools as well (NetDiag, DCDiag, ForestPrep, DomainPrep). My question is can I upgrade the new exchange server first with just one mailbox, then move all the other mailboxes from the orginal server over; blow away old server reload with windows 2003 R2 and Exchange 2003 then move the mialboxes over?

Hope all that made sense.

Thanks
Frank

I would test your plan in a lab before doing anything in production.

To upgrade your new server, you'll first need to upgrade the OS to Server 2003, then upgrade Exchange to 2003. You mentioned that you have run domainprep and forestprep, I'm assuming you mean that you have run the 2003 versions of these tools, otherwise, you will need to do that before upgrading to Exchange 2003 on the new server.

As long as the new server is added to the same admin group, you shuold be able to use the move mailbox wizard to move the maiboxes to the new server and back to the existing(rebuilt) server.

Like I said, lab it first, and make sure you lab enviroment matches your production environment as much as possible.

Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back