Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading from Crystal Reports XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakecolman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2006
US
We are an Oracle shop and we have developed a series of reports using Crystal Report XI. We are now looking to upgrade to the latest release of Crystal Reports which, I believe, is Crystal Reports 2008 (or is it called 12?).

My first order of business is finding out whether the old reports are directly compatible with the new version. Do I need to open each .rpt file and resave it? Will the new version simply open old .rpt files? Are all features expected to simply work?

Can anyone point me to a resource where I can find answers to these questions?

Thanks.

...Jake

I don't have CR 2008, but since nobody has responded, I'll make a couple of comments. I think that all of your current reports and features will work in CR 2008, but I'm not sure about downward compatibility--you might be able to open CR 2008 in earlier versions (not sure), but lose the new features. Maybe that's not a factor for you. I think Ken Hamady has an evaluation of the features of CR 2008 on his site that might be helpful:
-LB

From experience, as long as you don't use any of the new features from Crystal 2008, the reports WILL open in Crystal XI after they've been saved in 2008. You don't have to do anything special to get XI reports to open or run in 2008.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back